Filing Deadline: Tue 3/22/2022
For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 3/4/22 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 3/22/22. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The University of California San Diego is seeking qualified applicants for the position Assistant AD- Equipment Operations. UC San Diego, located in La Jolla, in the San Diego Metropolitan area, enrolls over 35,000 students, earned recognition as one of the world’s premier research universities, and is ranked as one of the top-10 public universities in the nation. Triton Athletics has a proud tradition of academic and athletic excellence and sponsors 23 varsity sports. The UC San Diego intercollegiate athletics program is a member of the Big West Conference, an NCAA Division I conference with 11 academically and athletically nationally proclaimed institutions.
The Assistant AD for Equipment Operations will develop, implement and execute strategic operations, risk management, and policy and procedure development/implementation for the Intercollegiate Athletics program which is critical for the overall success across all 23 sport programs at UC San Diego.
The incumbent will be responsible for budget and inventory management through integrated business strategies across all sports. Work directly with vendors on contracts and agreements to negotiate the purchase of new equipment and apparel. Responsible for planning, administering and implementing holistic (management) approach to equipment operations working with all athletic units, Fiscal, Compliance and Risk Management to ensure that NCAA and department policies and procedures are being considered. Oversee and implement equipment policies and procedures, including ordering, receiving, issuance, inventory control, access and usage, laundry services, maintenance, and security. The Assistant AD will need to be strategic and highly organized to produce equipment strategies that work cooperatively with all units in athletics as well as on campus during a transformative time for UC San Diego Athletics.
The incumbent will follow the athletic philosophy consistent with that of the UC San Diego Athletic Department and NCAA, and a commitment to diversity in all of its forms. Triton Athletics promotes the pursuit of excellence, strength of character, teamwork, ethical conduct, and diversity, and is inextricably linked to the educational mission of the University.A complete application will include an online resume and cover letter.
- Work schedule will include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must be able to travel to out-of-town meetings and athletic competitions
- Thorough knowledge of program activity and best practices. Thorough knowledge/understanding of current sports equipment tactics and industry best practices. Ability to create and implement equipment strategies to help increase efficiencies, as well as enhance the scholar-athlete experience. Thorough knowledge of AEMA best practices and methodologies
- Problem-solving skills; multi-task, work with frequent interruptions, and effective listener. Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Ability to identify and implement methods, procedures, and policies. Ability to use good judgment for problem solving. Ability to analyze data and situations and provide recommendations based on findings; ability to be proactive to avoid potential problems.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language. Strong oral and written communication skills to communicate and interact with persons of diverse backgrounds and personalities. Demonstrated ability to convey technical information and provide guidelines in a clear and professional manner, using diplomacy, tact and discretion in all interactions.
- Proficiency in the use of basic computer applications relevant to job duties. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite software (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier, InDesign, etc.). Proficiency in utilizing equipment industry software.
- Ability to train, motivate, and evaluate student employees, interns and volunteers; to delegate tasks; to schedule sufficient staffing for simultaneous athletic events based on knowledge of all schedules and the needs for sporting events.
- Ability to coordinate effectively with various campus and community constituencies. Thorough written, research, editing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of project planning, managing, and budgeting. Ability to create budget forecasting and project wrap-up reports and analysis.
- Strong organizational skills including ability to prioritize time, plan, and follow projects through to completion. Strong demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet multiple deadlines in a dynamic environment with numerous interruptions and fluctuating priorities. Ability to develop and adjust routines and procedures as needed.
- Strong logistical skills, with ability to follow up and confirm arrangements, inspect physical area to ensure that no details are overlooked, and that all staffing is in place.
- Demonstrated ability to research and evaluate the quality and availability of athletic products, compare vendors and prices, verify specs, calculate tax and estimate freight charges.
- Working knowledge of inventory practices, procedures used in the receipt, storage, and distribution of merchandise. Thorough understanding of principles including inventory management skills, and space allocations.
- Experience in and knowledge of shipping/receiving procedures and of UPS, Fed-Ex and common freight carriers, freight/shipping terms and documentation.
- Background Check required.
- Valid Driver’s License required. Incumbent may participate in the DMV Pull program and maintain a clean DMV record.
- This position is a mandated reporter of known or suspected child abuse or neglect, according to the California law, Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA).
- This position is a campus security authority (CSA) for the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which is a federal law requiring disclosure of information about crimes on and around campus.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.