Job Category: Equipment Operations
Requisition Number: ASSIS001225
- Posted: July 14, 2022
About Kansas Athletics, Inc.Kansas Athletics, Inc. is a not for profit corporation which was organized in 1925 to foster development of intercollegiate athletics in conjunction with the educational activities of the University of Kansas. Kansas Athletics operates the varsity intercollegiate athletic programs (18 men’s and women’s intercollegiate teams) of the University of Kansas in facilities owned by the State of Kansas. A major comprehensive research and teaching university with an enrollment of approximately 27,000, the University provides outstanding excellence in education and research. Kansas Athletics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Assistant Football Equipment Manager will be responsible with exercising discretion and independent judgment and with the authority to make important decisions, assist with the ordering, inventory tracking, embellishment, fitting, labeling, issuance, use, and maintenance of athletic equipment, apparel, footwear, and uniforms for the football program; the supervision & training of part-time equipment staff.
Duties and Responsibilities of all Positions at Kansas Athletics:
1. Adhere to University, Big 12 Conference, Kansas Athletics, and NCAA policies and procedures;
2. Maintain knowledge of departmental activities, sports schedules, and procedures;
3. Foster cooperative working relationships with fellow staff members within the Department;
4. Support the athletics department goals and philosophies as described by the Director of Athletics and work to achieve and uphold the department’s mission statement and core values;
5. Maintain a positive attitude toward performing job duties and in working with other staff members;
6. Exhibit professional decorum at all times while representing Kansas Athletics, including routine events and meetings that occur outside of the office and on the road;
7. Maintain the confidentiality of all information obtained while an employee of Kansas Athletics including all private, confidential, or sensitive information and ensuring compliance with FERPA, HIPAA, and other applicable regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Position:
1. In consultation with the coaches and Head Football Equipment Manager, provide support for the ordering of all student-athlete, coaches, and support staff (athletic program) supplies such as uniforms, apparel, footwear, and equipment (athletic equipment supplies) for assigned athletic program;
2. Additional responsibilities include the receiving, fitting/sizing, labeling/numbering, and distribution of athletic equipment supplies to assigned athletic program in accordance with NOCSAE, NCAA, and Big 12 standards/policies; also, competitive price negotiation, vendor selection, and order placement. Ensure above items provided are sufficient in quality and quantity, as well as appropriate for weather conditions;
3. Maintain accurate and up-to-date accounting of all Kansas Athletics issued items to student-athletes and athletic program staff consistent with Kansas Athletics directives, Compliance Office directives, and NCAA Rules. Ensure adherence to policies and procedures for the issuance and retrieval of athletic equipment supplies for assigned athletic program. Includes tracking and maintaining an accurate inventory and taking a physical inventory on a periodic basis (or as necessary);
4. Provide independent oversight for the continuing inspection, care, maintenance and repair of athletic equipment supplies. Includes all appropriate alterations and manufacturer endorsed modifications;
5. Oversee efficient laundry operations; selection and use of appropriate laundry chemicals; training of assigned staff in proper care of laundered goods and operation of laundry equipment; monitor laundry chemical rotations, placing timely orders as necessary; promote adherence to OSHA policies and best practices;
6. Organize storage areas; provide regular review of surplus inventory; assist in determination of athletic equipment supplies as expendable or retained for future use. Adhere to departmental policies/best practices regarding the disposition of expendable inventory;
7. Responsible for the preparation of assigned athletic program’s athletic equipment supplies for home and away contests. Includes the preparation and packing for away contests; communication with trucking company & drivers for overland transportation to away contests; organization of equipment trailer; advance team travel if necessary at discretion of Head Football Equipment Manager;
8. Direct and provide oversight of daily practice set up. Oversee movement of necessary practice equipment between venues. Assist with the transportation of athletic equipment to off-campus events, as necessary;
9. Assist with preparation of visiting team and officials’ locker rooms for assigned sports’ practices and games;
10. Provide budget support and adherence regarding all equipment orders, including all contracted provider orders placed for football. Base such orders on accurate size charts and up to date sizing information for student-athletes and staff. Provide and maintain accurate sizing information for appropriate order make up. Work closely with coaches, contracted provider representatives, and Kansas Athletics’ Business office personnel to assure Kansas Athletics of an efficient accurate order with minimal errors and process necessary payments in a timely manner;
11. Supervise sport specific student managers and interns, including individualized training, daily supervision, and evaluation in accordance with Kansas Athletics Student Manager Program policies & procedures. Ensure that personnel supervised are informed of and adhere to established health and safety practices associated with assigned tasks;
12. Manage Laundry Room Operations at Football Complex; including ensuring maintenance of washers & dryers; oversight of laundry chemical rotations and orders; and adherence to OSHA policies;
13. Monitor Receiving Operations for Football Complex;
14. Provide support for assigned sport recruiting operations as necessary and appropriate. May include gear displays, apparel/footwear fittings, and speaking to recruits regarding student-athlete provisions;
15. Adhere to Kansas Athletics Trademark/Licensing logo usage policies to insure compliance in the use of University marks. Convey these policies to vendors/embellishers and review samples/proofs for accuracy. Communicate any requested deviations from standards to supervisor;
16. Coordinate Kansas Athletics football van servicing and maintenance;
17. Assist with distribution and documentation of Varsity Letter Awards and Big 12 gifts. Submit completed paperwork back to the K Club and Compliance Office, respectively;
18. Ensure that all equipment and office areas are sufficiently supplied and maintained in an orderly and safe manner including the issuance, maintenance, and reconditioning of practice and game equipment and apparel; the inspection of facilities, locker room areas (assign & provide basic upkeep), and football grounds; report needed repairs and make recommendations for improvements of facilities to the Head Football Equipment Manager and/or Assistant Athletics Director for Equipment Services;
19. In coordination with Football Facility Director, provide support in receiving of contracted beverage provider product; ensure prompt processing of invoices to Assistant Athletics Director/Equipment Services;
20. Maintain Membership and Certification in professional organization (Athletic Equipment Managers Association – AEMA). Allied membership in the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) is encouraged;
21. Maintain knowledge of new innovations and technology as it relates to the athletic equipment industry. Actively participate in professional advancement opportunities;
22. Remain current and ensure compliance with all applicable University, Conference and NCAA rules and regulations;
23. Ensure compliance with applicable Title IX issues pertaining to equipment;
24. Perform other related duties as assigned by Director of Athletics, Assistant AD of Equipment Services, or Associate Director and Head Football Equipment Manager.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university;
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in football equipment services.
• Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience with personnel supervision;
• Familiarity with vendors, vendor selection, conducting business operations;
• Prior experience working with and servicing student-athletes and coaches;
• Detail oriented with strong communication and organizational skills
• Ability and willingness to travel for various athletic games and events as needed, including operating motor vehicles;
• Ability and willingness to lift objects with proper equipment and assistance that weigh up to 75 lbs.;
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook;
• Ability to maintain a valid state issued driver’s license;
• Certification in the Athletic Equipment Managers’ Association (AEMA) or the qualifications to be certified within one year;
• Ability and willingness to work an irregular schedule including, evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
• 1-year non-student experience working at an NCAA or professional institution in football equipment services;
• Advanced knowledge of football apparel/footwear/equipment, NCAA rules / regulations, inventory management programs, and OSHA standards for the treatment / handling of blood-borne pathogens.
This job operates in both a professional office environment and outside at football-related events, including inclement weather. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers and various digital devices, including, but not limited to: cell phone, printer, copy machine, and other related devices. This job requires flexibility and adaptability in schedule and the ability to perform job related duties on short notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This position may require frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 75 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; and working in all weather conditions.
Moderate travel is expected with this position.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work will vary based on the needs of the position. Early morning, evening and weekend work maybe required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Kansas Athletics offers a competitive salary along with relocation assistance. We also provide an excellent benefits package including: 403(b) matching program, plus voluntary retirement savings plans; health, dental, vision insurance, Section 125 flexible spending plans; paid holidays, vacation and sick leave; paid Parental leave; employer paid long-term disability, group term life and AD&D; tuition reimbursement; Adidas merchandise allotment and discounts; free weight room access; and more!