The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Assistant Director of Equipment Operations
Job Profile Title
Manager, Athletic Equipment
Job Description Summary
Under the direction of the Director of Equipment, the Assistant Director of Equipment Operations is responsible for the organization and supervision of select NCAA Division I sports equipment. Must have knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations, as well as National Operating Committee on Standard Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety standards. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: oversight of select equipment room operations including purchasing, fitting, inventory / auditing, supervision of temp and work-study staffing, laundry / maintenance and staffing for one equipment facility; development and maintenance of positive relationships with coaches, student-athletes, and equipment apparel vendors in the selection and fitting of equipment, to include the review and adherence to equipment and apparel agreements.
- Responsible for the budget process, procurement, before and aftermarket branding for apparel, game equipment and facility equipment and laundry services for select sports.
- Work with Director of Equipment to ensure annual ordering windows are met, on campus visits and information sessions are held, orders are received within contracted.
- Management of a comprehensive electronic inventory program encompassing the distribution, collection, inspection, maintenance, and disposal of equipment, shoes, and apparel in accordance with NCAA guidelines and industry practice.
- Assists in the receiving of all department packages and coordinates drop off times with several parcel services. Local delivery and pick up of product for the purpose of embellishment and repairs of team and department products. Coordination of Mail Services including, campus mail, UPS, FedEx, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining a schedule of all equipment needs within the assigned sports that track replacement costs, useful life cycle and recommended year of replacement.
- Supervision of one temp staff employee and several work-study employees in Franklin Field Team Operations Complex.
- Assist coaching staff with the design and selection of uniforms and branded apparel. Work with supervisor to ensure that designs adhere to approved branding policies. Work with coaches and administrative staff to Develop and implement the equipment replacement policy for select sports.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2-3 years of work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with college athletics or professional sports department preferred.
- Knowledge of NCAA regulations a plus.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Nike and Penn Purchasing software
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as required
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. or more.
- Able to receive AEMA Certification within 12 months of hire.
- A Cover Letter and Resume/CV are required to be considered for this position. Please upload your Cover Letter where it asks you to upload your Resume/CV; multiple documents are allowed.
Job Location – City, State
Department / School
Division of Recreation & Intercollegiate Athletics
$37,220.00 – $54,600.00 Annual Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn’s exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you’ll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.