Position Title: Assistant Equipment Manager of Football Classification: [For HR to determine]
Department: Equipment Worker Category: Full-time
Reports To: Director of Football Equipment Date: 6/1/23
This position is responsible for independently managing equipment for assigned teams. This includes procuring, supervising, and maintaining uniforms, equipment, and gear for all athletes, coaches, and support staff for assigned teams. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all health and safety measures are implemented and maintained for equipment and apparel. Establishes a working budget for assigned teams, including NIKE Comp and other money. Designs team uniforms and practice apparel while adhering to AWPAA brand standards, NCAA and league requirements. Maintains the ethics and high standards of The United States Military Academy and Army West Point Athletics.
Scope of Impact
Job Complexity: High: The employee must work with Coaches, Administrators, Athletic Interns, Cadet-Athletes and Cadet managers for various programs as well as external government agencies (i.e. Nike, BSN, etc.) in managing a successful equipment program.
Scope of Influence: High: The employee has direct oversight of the sport’s equipment and apparel that he/she is assigned to.
Level of Decision Making
The responsibilities outlined in this job description are integral to the success of the AWPAA. All decisions associated with designated responsibilities will be made in conjunction with their direct supervisor and/or the Associate Athletics Director – Internal Operations.
If Primary Role is not maintained, the possible outcomes include:
• Player injuries
• Spread of infection
• Lack of preparation for practices and/or game days
• Loss of games
Candidate must be able to:
• Assess and respond to anticipated or re-occurring problems
• Demonstrate a solutions-oriented attitude to solve problems
• Correct possible problems to the best of ability with what is available
• Provide reliable and safe methods for solving problems
• Maintain a professionalism when problems arise
• Display flexibility within the department and/or scheduling
• Social agility, being a team player, and building relationships
• Communication and influence
• Creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurialism
• Planning and execution
• Facilitating and adapting to change
• Self-awareness and self-development
• Integrity and organizational values
Equipment Operations (60 %)
• Independently manage equipment room and operations for assigned sports.
• Perform all team ordering with AWPAA apparel and equipment partners.
• Manage equipment/apparel budget and credit card (if applicable). Coordinate with Head Coach and Sport Administrator when necessary.
• Design team uniforms and practice apparel while adhering to AWPAA brand standards, NCAA and league requirements.
• Monitor the maintenance needs of the equipment room machinery and schedule repairs as needed.
• Establish and implement department protocols to manage an accurate inventory system.
• Manage practice and gameday operational needs per assigned sports.
• Recruit, train, and supervise Cadet-Managers (if applicable).
Health and Safety (30%)
• Use discretion to ensure all equipment meets USMA, league, NCAA or other applicable health and safety standards and best practices.
• Perform routine and emergent maintenance to ensure healthy and safety standards are maintained.
• Ensure proper sanitation of all apparel and equipment, including, coordination of team laundry operations throughout the year.
• Provide all athletes with appropriate playing apparel and proper fitting protective equipment.
• Responsible for keeping up to date on health and safety regulations and best practices.
Administrative & Other Duties as Assigned (10 %)
• Apply knowledge of the organization, its policies and regulations to carry out a wide variety of administrative functions related to the organization and its mission.
• Coordinate with internal and external constituents regarding equipment operations.
• Ensure all operations are in compliance with USMA, NCAA and Conference regulations.
• Adhere to all department-wide management controls and participate in training programs as required.
• Special projects and other duties as assigned by the Associate Athletics Director – Internal Operations and/or Deputy Athletics Director.
Work Conditions & Physical Requirements
• Perform duties during flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays as required by the athletics schedules.
• Travel as necessary per athletics schedules.
• Ability to move self and supplies from various locations to support equipment operations in support of cadet-athletes in various facilities.
• Consistently operate computer and other productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, computer printer and inventory systems.
• This position frequently communicates with cadet-athletes, coaches and staff who have questions related to proper equipment and apparel fitting to ensure health and safety. Must be able to exchange accurate information with cadets, coaches and staff.
• Must be able to observe and assess equipment conditions to coordinate proper repairs and replacements.
• Consistently works in outdoor weather conditions when providing direct support and training at outdoor practice and competition facilities.
• Must have ability operate a motor vehicle to include Gator or Cushman.
• Ability to lift 50+ lbs.
Travel for competitions may be required at the discretion of supervisor.
• 1-3 years of relevant experience in athletics (intercollegiate or professional), specifically equipment operations.
• Must be eligible for the Athletic Equipment Manager’s Association (AEMA) certification within eighteen months of being hired expected.
• Demonstrated experience in fitting, repairing/maintaining, and purchasing athletic equipment.
• Knowledge of health and safety regulations and best practices including sanitization and cleansing chemicals.
• Demonstrate good judgment and the ability to respond quickly and deal successfully under pressure and in a very open and public environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
• Team-First Approach.
• Strong Work Ethic.
• Ability to Build and Maintain Relationships.
• Excellent Organizational and Communication Skills.
• Willingness to Learn and Contribute.
• Microsoft Office 365.
• Driver’s License.
• Athletic Equipment Manager’s Association (AEMA) certification
• Experience creating, organizing, and adjusting budgets.
• Designing athletic apparel.
Additional Eligibility Requirements
• Must be eligible to work in the United States of America, without sponsorship.
• Must be eligible to work on a military installation.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
USMA is renowned as the world’s preeminent leadership development institution. Located on the banks of the Hudson River in West Point, NY, it is approximately one hour from New York City. The mission of USMA is “to educate, train, and inspire the Corps of Cadets so that each graduate is a commissioned leader of character committed to the values of Duty, Honor, Country and prepared for a career of professional excellence and service to the Nation as an officer in the United States Army.” This position will be housed within the AWPAA, which is a non-profit corporation organized to manage and support the 30 intercollegiate athletic programs at the Academy. The AWPAA mission is to recruit, educate, train and inspire leaders of character who are committed to the values of Duty, Honor, Country through an extraordinary NCAA Division I athletic experience.
AWPAA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.