Jun 06, 2022
This is a coordinate position supporting the Hobart and William Smith Athletic Departments including the 23 intercollegiate sports as well as the addition of 12 sports over the next six years. The duties of the Assistant Equipment Manager center on equipment issue, inventory management, equipment maintenance, budget planning, laundry service, game day support, shipping/receiving and facility upkeep. The Assistant Equipment Manager will also train and supervise student workers who support the operations of multiple equipment rooms.
Issue and return of equipment:
- Provide all athletes with appropriate playing apparel and proper fitting protective equipment.
- Implement an appropriate check out system for each sport.
- Ensure all items are returned after each contest, as well as at the conclusion of each sport season.
- Keep accurate records of lost or missing equipment, uniforms and apparel.
- Follow the established department protocols to manage an accurate inventory system.
- Use designated forms and processes to record any missing items and keep inventory up-to-date.
- Complete post-season inventories for each sport using proper inventory control data.
- Assist in the transport of daily deliveries to designated equipment room, facility or office location.
- Work with coaches to adhere to the equipment budget for each sport.
- Prepare a list of equipment needs to review with each head coach upon completion of the season.
- Plan equipment and apparel orders for upcoming season based on on-hand inventory and projected need.
- Act as a liaison between vendors and coaches to facilitate and adhere to the established ordering process.
- Work together with coaches and vendors to design uniforms, warm-up gear and practice apparel.
- Ensure that all practice gear is washed and returned to each individual locker in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all travel gear and uniforms are washed and cared for in an appropriate manner and represent HWS with pride.
- Demonstrate an extensive knowledge of laundry chemicals and their use on different types of stains.
- Monitor the maintenance needs of the laundry room machinery and schedule repairs as needed.
- Be security conscious, especially regarding equipment, laundry, office and team room areas.
- Maintain the equipment and laundry rooms in a neat, clean and well-organized manner.
- Work directly with coaches regarding any team room concerns or cleanliness issues.
- Report any facility concerns or maintenance needs in a timely fashion.
Game Day Operations:
- Coordinate team uniform and warmup needs for home and away contests.
- Communicate with event management staff regarding any equipment related needs for each event.
- Meet and communicate with coaches, officials and visiting team representatives.
- Escort visiting teams and officials to designated locker rooms and assist them as needed.
- Train and supervise student worker staff.
- Assign, instruct and review the work of student workers.
- Schedule student workers as deemed appropriate based on practice and game schedules.
Staff and Campus Relations:
- Foster a positive working relationship with department staff members.
- Exhibit supportive and cooperative behavior to assist each sport program in pursuing their goals.
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in the personal, academic and athletic progress of student-athletes.
- Serve as a positive role model for all student-athletes.
- Maintain active membership in the AEMA.
- Ability to obtain AEMA certification within two years.
- Pursue formal and informal educational opportunities related to athletic equipment management.
Other Department Responsibilities:
- Serve on department operational teams.
- Represent HWS Athletics on and off-campus as requested.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics & Recreation or Associate Director of Athletics.
A bachelor’s degree is required. Athletic Equipment Manager’s Association (AEMA) certification is preferred. Ability to obtain AEMA certification within two years is required. Candidates should exhibit strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment. Candidates must be detail oriented and demonstrate excellent organizational and time-management skills. Fundamental knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is desired. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Strong technical skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs is necessary. Must be highly reliable, flexible and adaptable. A valid Driver’s License and the ability to pass the campus driving test is required. The ability to work evenings and weekends is required.
This is a full-time, 10-month, salaried and benefits-eligible administrative position. This position description is not all-inclusive, as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service, Interfolio using the link on the right of the page. Background and MVR check required.
This institution is using Interfolio’s Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.Apply NowPowered byOpens in new window
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Hobart and William Smith Colleges are committed to providing a non-discriminatory and harassment-free educational, living and working environment for all members of the HWS community, including students, faculty, staff, volunteers, and visitors. HWS prohibits discrimination and harassment in their programs and activities on the basis of age, color, disability, domestic violence victim status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected under the law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual assault, and other forms of sexual misconduct including stalking and intimate partner violence, and gender-based harassment that does not involve conduct of a sexual nature.