Department: Univ Athletics-Equipment Room
The Assistant Equipment Manager reports to the Assistant Athletic Director for Equipment Services and is responsible for all aspects of apparel and equipment needs for various assigned sports. This position will work and collaborate with seven other equipment staff members on objectives and goals specific to Equipment Services, and will play a vital role in the health, safety and well-being of our student athletes.
* Willingness and ability to work all home competitions for assigned sports and travel to away competitions as needed.
This position oversees the needs of the men’s basketball programs, women’s basketball program, and the cheer and spirit squads. The position also meets the apparel needs for the Sports Performance Department and Levy Compass Sports Group. This position will also coordinate the yearly staff gift given to employees by the Athletic Director. This position will also assist with any surplus sales.
The specific responsibilities and assignments as outlined above are subject to change based on department needs.
- Equipment Management (60%)
- Adhere to and execute the Department’s apparel and equipment contract with Under Armour and other apparel and equipment vendors.
- Independently responsible for ordering apparel and equipment from season-to-season and as needed.
- Maintain inventory records for the athletic department using SportSoft inventory program.
- Pack athletic teams for travel to away contests, and coordinate transportation of apparel and equipment for off-site competitions.
- Coordinate laundry service and other equipment related needs for away competitions, as needed.
- Issue, launder and disseminate game, practice, and workout apparel and uniforms
- Fit, clean and repair equipment in accordance with NOCSAE and AEMA standards, maintaining records of maintenance and repair.
- Ensure proper logo on all apparel and uniforms in accordance with NUDAR, B1G Conference and the NCAA.
- Coordination & Administration (25%)
- Maintain a clean and organized equipment room and ensure proper storage of athletic equipment used in and around the facility.
- Work with business office to ensure proper and timely payment of invoices.
- Assist with the NUDAR letter winner program which includes ordering, inventorying and disseminating of awards
- Hire, supervise and educate interns and student managers on policies and procedures relative to issuing and maintaining apparel and equipment.
- Report and log intern and student manager hours according to Northwestern Temp policy
- Communication & Outreach (10%)
- Foster, build and maintain relationships with vendors and sporting goods companies.
- Provide a world class experience and high-level of service to all student athletes.
- Work with coaches and director of operations of assigned sports to ensure all equipment needs are met.
- Other (5%)
- Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
- Collaborate with other areas of NUDAR on certain projects as they pertain to Equipment Operations
- Assist in the receipt and distribution of package deliveries from FedEx, UPS, etc
- Other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study at an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working full-time in a college athletic equipment room;
- Athletic Equipment Managers Association (AEMA) certification preferred or certifiable within one year of hire
- Knowledge and prior experience with industrial washing and drying machines as well as proper techniques to remove stains from garments, apparel and uniforms
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs;
- Knowledge of Sportsoft Inventory Tracking program or use of a similar program
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- General/basic knowledge on how to sew and repair garments
- General/basic knowledge on the use of heat presses
- Possess ability to communicate effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Effectively performs duties and responsibilities; displays attention to detail; supports organizational policies; anticipates demands/pressures of assignments and adjusts accordingly.
- Ability to work independently; complete goals, tasks and projects on time
- Valid driver’s license
- A thorough working knowledge of issuing, fitting, cleaning and maintaining athletic equipment as put forward by the AEMA preferred.
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.