Western Kentucky University, Department of Athletics, is seeking applications for Olympic Sport Equipment Graduate Assistant beginning June 5th of 2023. This is a 12-month, part-time position that reports to the Director of Football Equipment Operations. Applicants must have a commitment to and responsibility for adhering to all rules and regulations of WKU, Conference USA and the NCAA.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Work with assigned sports and departments. Primary sports for this position are Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Baseball, Tennis, Track and Field and Volleyball.
- Assist with practice and game laundry.
- Keep inventory of all apparel, footwear, and accessory items for assigned teams.
- Assist in training student managers and interns as needed.
- Attend home contests and practice as needed. Some travel to away contests may be required occasionally.
- Assist in the development of the equipment budget pertaining to assigned sports teams.
- Collaborate with coaches and staff to proactively and effectively address the equipment needs of assigned athletic programs and departments.
- Serve as main point of contact for all visiting team laundry inquires for any Conference USA or NCAA Championships held at Western Kentucky University.
- Evening and weekend hours with some travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Considered Essential for Success:
- Knowledge of NCAA and NOCSAE rules and guidelines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with ordering apparel and footwear through team portal system.
- Experience in packing and planning for away contests.
- Experience with the day to day problem solving associated with equipment duties and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1 Year or multiple years of Equipment Related Experience
- AEMA member and/or working towards EM, C certification.
- Physical ability to handle bulky or heavy stock items, equipment, and supplies up to 50lbs.
- Knowledge of issuing, fitting, cleaning, and maintaining athletic equipment.
- Valid Driver’s License with ability to drive University Vehicles.
$1,100 stipend, paid monthly. Scholarship will cover full tuition expenses for two classes per semester. Does not cover course related fees or textbooks. The candidate must have earned a bachelor’s degree and be admitted as a full-time student in any graduate program at Western Kentucky University, effective Fall 2023. This position is a two-year commitment, renewed after one year based on satisfactory academic and work-related performance.
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, a current resume, list of references via email to [email protected]. To ensure full consideration submit application materials by May 7th, 2023. Anticipated start date June 5th, 2023.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with the Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.