Job Code: F1J1 Pay Plan: UHE Family: AUXILIARY SERVICES
FLSA: E Pay Grade: UNG Sub Family: Athletics
This position may be security sensitive requiring a criminal history investigation of the final candidate.
Manages equipment operations for assigned varsity sports.
- Designs, implements, and executes a comprehensive, safe equipment services program for assigned sports. Exercises independent judgment; analyzing factors, best practices and NCAA rules to assist student-athletes and coaching staff in attaining maximum level of success.
- For assigned programs, in line with University policy, manages equipment inventory, vendor management and purchasing needs. Analyzes available resources, program needs, industry trends and best practices to provide the safest and best quality items are available to our students, coaches and staff.May also assist with ordering as needed for other Department and/or University needs.
- Prepares and administers the athletic equipment budget for assigned varsity sports.
- Serves as a lead in ensuring daily operational effectiveness of Equipment Room operations. Analyzes maintenance, operational and day to day staffing needs. Evaluates available resources and uses industry best practices to ensure effective service to teams and cost effectiveness. Coordinates with Business Operations to maintain good standing with vendors and support Accounts Payable process.Performs organizational/custodial tasks as needed to ensure effective daily operations functionality.
- Supervises part-time staff, interviews/hires, trains, coordinates work schedules, monitors work and resolves issues.
- Participates in the coordination/fulfillment of Apparel contract terms (currently Nike). Understands contract terms, ensuring compliance and ensuring UH leverages assets available within the Agreement.
- Travels as needed to ensure efficient away game equipment operations.
- Serves as an Ambassador. Works in cooperation with coaching staff to showcase the quality of Houston Athletics; engages prospects and parents/guardians to secure the best possible student-athletes for our teams. Participates in fundraising, public relations to improve relations and increase donations.
- Performs other job-related duties as needed to facilitate overall Department success.
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4-year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
Requires a minimum of 3 Years of directly job-related experience.
Must be AEMA Certified within 1 year of employment
Requires a detailed knowledge of a specialized or technical field. Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies and/or precedents.
Change in Knowledge
The knowledge and/or technology used in the job changes periodically; occasional study and training is required.
Requires the collection or compilation of information or the selection of the appropriate course of action according to routine well-defined methods, procedures or practices.
Basic analytical ability is required, as in the comparison of numbers and simple facts in selecting the correct action.
Impact of Decisions
Inside Department Considerable.
Outside Department Minor.
Outside University Minor.
Activities and decisions are varied in nature, requiring independent action and judgment in solving common problems. Unusual cases or questionable matters are resolved with the job’s immediate supervisor.
Involves scheduling, supervision and evaluation of work as a manager or equivalent. Acts as focal point for recommending hiring/termination decisions, performance management, salary increases and disciplinary actions and/or budget management. Responsibility of this job can include a large functional department or a smaller diverse area.
Internal Service Acts as the customer’s primary point of contact External Service Provides minimal customer service
Work involves moderate exposure (several times a month for up to approximately 2 hours at a time) to unpleasant elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, loud noises, chemicals, etc. May involve routine exposure to soiled materials and light chemical substances such as cleaning solutions.
Position requires moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for long periods of time (more than 4 hours per day).
Physical Risk Work environment involves some exposure to physical risks that require following basic safety precautions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
“All interested candidates should email their resume, cover letter, and references to Andrew Johnson, Assistant Athletics Director-Equipment Operations at [email protected] no later than Friday June 16th, 2023.”