The University of Virginia is a highly competitive Division I program committed to academic and athletic excellence. The Department of Athletics at the University of Virginia is now accepting applications for the position of Equipment Room Manager to support various sport programs.
The Equipment Room Manager provides a high level of program support to all assigned Intercollegiate Athletic Sports and assists in achieving a nationally recognized program both on and off the field in a manner that meets all guidelines set by the University of Virginia, the ACC, and the NCAA.
As the Equipment Room Manager, you will play a pivotal role in ensuring the smooth functioning of our department. Your responsibilities include:
- Receive, distribute, and retrieve all materials for staff and student-athletes.
- Maintain meticulous records of student-athletes’ property, ensuring compliance with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Collaborate with the Director of Equipment Room Operations to assess specific equipment needs for each sport during budget meetings.
- Keep a comprehensive inventory of all athletic equipment and maintain accurate records of equipment issuance to student-athletes, coaches, and staff.
- Provide laundry services for athletic clothing and uniforms, ensuring cleanliness and presentation standards.
- Handle the packing, storage, and unpacking of athletic equipment and clothing for both home and away games.
- Determine and implement effective methods for proper storage and identification of athletic gear.
- Supervise the assignment of student-athlete lockers, ensuring an organized and efficient system.
- Perform regular cleaning and maintenance of equipment, addressing repairs promptly when necessary.
- Engage with sales representatives to stay updated on new and existing products relevant to the athletic department’s needs.
- Generate digital requisition forms for all assigned sports using computer software.
- Supervise student managers and assist full-time staff in their assigned location.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of effective policies and procedures for the unit to ensure compliance with NCAA, conference, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Provide input on the annual budget development process.
- Mentor peers and subordinates regarding operations of athletic equipment rooms.
- Assist with procurement of items utilizing U.Va. Marketplace.
- Provide oversight of overall equipment room operations during the absence of Equipment Room Directors.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Organizational Skills: Ability to organize and maintain accurate records.
- Communication Skills: Effectively communicate with a diverse group of stakeholders including administrators, staff, coaches, student athletes, and sales representatives.
- Technical Skills: Ability to use technology for maintaining records and managing inventory.
- Compliance Knowledge: Familiarity with NCAA rules and regulations related to maintaining student-athletes’ property records.
- Equipment Management Skills: Knowledge of proper cleaning, maintenance, and repair procedures for athletic equipment.
- Logistical Skills: Proficiency in packing, storing, and unpacking athletic equipment and clothing for home and away games. Skill in determining logistical arrangements for equipment storage and transport.
- Teamwork: Collaboration with staff, coaches, and student-athletes.
Anticipated Starting Salary: $36,000-$40,000 per year. This is a fulltime, nonexempt (overtime-eligible) position, which is eligible for the University’s benefits package:
- Moving and relocation reimbursement assistance
- 22 days of paid time off, increasing with service; 13+ paid holidays each year, in addition to paid time off
- Parental and Community Service Leave
- Health plan with options to meet healthcare and financial needs available from day one
- Retirement benefits
- Tuition and professional development benefits after six months of employment
- Employee wellness program featuring activities to earn up to $500/year.
Education: High School diploma or GED.
Experience: Two years of related experience at the collegiate level.
Licensure: Valid Driver’s License.
Education: Bachelor’s degree.
Experience: Experience in equipment room operations for a collegiate athletic program or professional sports team. Experience supporting Men’s Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Track & Field and Cross Country.
Licensure: Athletics Equipment Manager’s Association certification (E.M., C.) or ability to obtain within the first two years of employment.
Work is performed in the distribution of sports equipment, assisting on practice fields, in team laundry room, packing and unpacking uniforms and equipment.
To apply for the job click here:
Please do not submit application materials directly to staff of the Department of Athletics, as only applications received through this system will be accepted. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching ‘Find Jobs.’ Complete an application online with the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references
Upload all materials into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Applications that do not contain all required documents will not receive full consideration. For questions about the application process, please contact Michele Jarman, Academic Recruiter. The successful candidate will pass a background check.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.